Tuesday, November 10, 2009

One month ago today...

we quit our jobs down at the car wash and left our Mama a goodbye note...hitchhiked all the way down to Memphis, got a room at the YMCA. Not exactly, but Jerry Reed has a much better way with words than I.

In one month we have had any expectations we had knocked off the box and surpassed by astronomical proportions. The apartment is absolutely gorgeous and perfect and eerily all of the paint and carpet colors match all of our stuff. The exact moment our house was closing I was enjoying pedicures at the Peabody with my new sidekick neighbor/LBF 5.0. The first weekend we were here we had our minds blown by the spectacle that is the Downtown Olympics and we fortunate to be involved as videographer and trophy girl/assistant to the director. The weekend after that was River Arts Fest right outside our front door, where we found the first new pieces for our new place coincidentally made by a talented friend. I've ventured to the West Memphis Wal-Mart and vowed to never return again. I've gotten hooked up at the Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma outlet and purchased gold schrunchies from American Apparel just down the street. We attended a party at an indoor trailer court-- easily the coolest thing we've ever seen. We've thrifted like nobodies business and was delighted to find the Goodwills are still priced reasonably as opposed to where we come from. We've joined MPACT and the South Main Association and Memphis Heritage. Most importantly, we both got our first paid acting gigs with a new troupe that will be performing in the Beignet Cafe. Yes, paid. Money for something I would do for free. Theatre used to be such a huge part of my life and for the longest time I assumed I would never act again. As LBF 5.0 says "Everyday in Memphis there is opportunity for an adventure." Truer words have never been spoken (except perhaps those of Dennis Quaid portraying Jerry Lee Lewis... "If I'm goin' ta hell, I'm goin' there playin' the peeeano!)


The only real negative we've experienced is the good ol' Memphis inferiority complex, but that is another entry in itself.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for you both that you've finally made it to Memphis!

    ReplyDelete